The idea was to build homes for the vast Tata family.
The newborn city was built almost out of the wilderness.
Giving shape to Jamsetji’s dream the first inhabitant
came in through a rough mud track, transporting building material
on a bullock cart. And, within a couple of years, the township
boasted a Pump House, which supplied a million gallon of water
every day, sprang neat rows of brick houses dotting across
The plant grew and the population doubled. Unlike the early
settlers, the incoming population was not content with open
spaces alone. Understanding their requirements the first school
came up in 1915 assisted by Mrs. Charles Perin. New markets
were built for the convenience of the inhabitants. Thakkar
Bapa as a solution to better living built co-operative societies
in 1919. And in the same year the Viceroy conferred the burgeoning
town the name ‘Jamshedpur’ as a tribute to the
Founder who made it a reality.
The coming years saw the emergence of a model city equipped
with the most modern and up-to-date facilities. The 850- bed
Tata Main hospital with latest equipment and excellent medical
staff was acknowledged to be one of the best-run hospitals
in the country. Jamshedpur now houses as many as 15 primary
schools, seven colleges and specialised institutions such
as a medical college, an arts college, even a well-recognised
management institute. Recreational facilities like clubs,
tennis courts, swimming pools and a golf course complete the
plan of this model township. A 33-acre park modeled after
the Brindavan Gardens of Mysore adorned with a lake, several
fountains and a rose garden is a major attraction of the city.