1.2 mn tonnes of cold rolling complex
» The Beginning
» The War Years
» Expansion to Two Million Tonnes
» Period between 1960-80
» Steelmaking and casting
» Tata Steel Today
Major developments in the steelmaking and casting area
includes the following:
- Switchover from duplex and open hearth steelmaking to
the oxygen process.
- Adopting optimum KD vessel configuration (to accommodate
the high slag volume as a result of high silicon and phosphorus
in hot metal) and use of bottom inert gas agitation.
- Strategy to make low phosphorus Steel.
- Improvement of vessel lining life from 160-180 heats to
- Adoption of continuous casting through billet and slab