Steelmaking with Steel Melting Shops
Steel Melting Shop – 1
In the year 1911, TISCO installed its first Steel Melting Shop.
It had four Open Hearth Furnaces of 50 tonnes capacity
Soon, the number of Open Hearth Furnaces increased from four to eight
with capacities ranging from 70 to 130 tonnes
Steel Melting Shop – 2
The progress of Steelmaking in the TISCO plant necessitated more steel melting
shops. This initiated the establishment of the 2nd S.M.S in 1928
Duplex process – a combination of two recognized steelmaking processes
was adopted for the 2nd Steel Melting Shop
The most popular of these combinations was Acid Bessemer Converter and
Basic Open Hearth Steelmaking Processes
Features included three Acid Bessemer Converters of 25 tonnes capacity each,
coupled with three tilting Basic Open Hearth Furnaces
With LD1 in operation, this shop was closed in 1983
Steel Melting Shop – 3
Steel Melting Shop – 3 was introduced in 1958 during the Two Million Tonne
Programme (TMP) with an installed capacity of 85,000 tonnes of ingot steel per
At the beginning it had seven Basic Open Hearth Furnaces
Later on, the existing facility was spruced up by adding three more Acid Bessemer
Converters of 32 tonnes capacity each and one Basic Open Hearth of 200 tonnes capacity
This shop ceased to function from 1999
Modernisation with LD
The modernization programme in Phase I updated the steelmaking facilities
and marks an important milestone in the history of the plant.
The Basic Oxygen Furnace or the LD Shop was formally launched in
1983 with the commissioning of 1.1 million tonnes capacity.
Main features included two 130 tonnes basic oxygen converters with flux charging
system, gas cleaning and gas recovery plant. One six strands Continuous Casting
Machine and another 130 tonne Vacuum Arc Degassing & Refining (VADR) unit.
In 1983, a six strand billet caster to make 340,000 TPA (rated capacity) of 100-130
mm2 billet was commissioned. For the first time in an integrated steel
plant in India, a billet casting facility was put in LD1.
Later in 1997 – a second billet caster was provided in LD1 in the earlier
part of the year.
Steelmaking Shop (LD2) came into operation in the year 1993(under Modernization
Phase III – 1990-94) with production capacity of 1.3 MTPA. The shop initially had
two converters of capacity 130 tonnes each; one more converter was added later on.
In LD2, transfer of hot metal was through torpedo ladle. It has Desulphurisation
station, Ladle Furnace and RH Degasser.
Two single strand slab casters were installed initially and a third one later.
Each slab caster is provided with a turret so that sequence casting is possible.
The process of evolution and improvement continues…
… striving to make the steelmaking process better and better each day.